Award winning regeneration company Urban Splash has today been selected as the preferred bidder for the former Cole Brothers building.
December's video message from Cllr Tom Hunt
Cllr Tom Hunt, Leader of Sheffield City Council, speaks about the Cost of Living crisis, the impact it has on residents in Sheffield and the support available from the Council to put some extra cash in the pockets of those who need a little bit of help.
- Sheffield City Council is providing extra support for people who need it most this winter.
- An extra £660,000 has been made available to support local people through the Household Support Fund.
- Currently, 80% of people who apply for extra help are families with children.
- There were 112 applications for support every day in November 2023 – an increase of 148% on last year.
- Government has announced it is shutting down the Household Support Fund scheme in March 2024. This year Sheffield received £10.4 million which was used to help people on low incomes. Next year the Council is set to get nothing.
- The money pays for hardship grants and for food vouchers worth £125 for each child in the school holidays for families where children receive free school meals.
- Find out more at https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/cost-of-living or call our Community Helpline on 0114 273 4567
Other stories you might like
Cole Brothers: Urban Splash named as preferred bidders with plans to create exciting mixed-use space
Event Central: Contractor selected for cultural community hub on Fargate
Plans to turn a building in Sheffield city centre into a mixed-use cultural community hub have moved forward with the appointment of the lead contractor.
Future of former Cole Brothers building to be decided next week
Next Wednesday Sheffield City Council’s Strategy and Resources Committee will meet to decide the future use of the former Cole Brothers building in Barker’s Pool.