The opening hours of Sheffield’s Household Waste Recycling Centres (HWRC), have ...
Festive bin collections and HWRC opening times in Sheffield
Bin collection day will change for some households over the festive period this year, and remind residents how to recycle any excess festive waste.
Only households with a Monday bin collection will be affected because of the Boxing Day bank holiday. The change is as follows:
- Normal collection date: Monday 26 December
- New collection date: Saturday 24 December
All other bin collections will take place as normal. Residents are advised to put their bins out for collection by 7am on their collection day, and make sure the bin lid is closed to ensure collection.
Over the festive period, it is likely that extra waste and recycling will be produced, including wrapping paper, Christmas cards, boxes, catalogues, glass and plastic bottles, biscuit/chocolate tins and lots more. The good news is that there are a number of options available to help residents manage any extra waste and recycling:
- A reminder that paper and card including wrapping paper, Christmas cards, boxes and catalogues, can be recycled in the blue bin. Glass bottles and jars, plastic bottles, biscuit and chocolate tins can all be recycled in the brown bin.
- Blue bins: Small amounts of additional paper and card can be tied in a bundle and put next to blue bins for collection (the additional bundle should be no bigger than the size of the bin)
- Brown bins: Between 27 December and 23 January, extra tins, cans and plastic bottles can be placed inside a carrier bag, tied and then put out for collection next to the brown bin. Glass bottles or jars must be placed inside brown bins, otherwise the extra recycling will not be collected.
- Black Bins: Between 27 December and 23 January, up to two bags of extra general waste will be collected. The extra non-recyclable waste should be put into a black bag, tied, and then put out for collection next to the black bin.
- Visit a Household Waste Recycling Centre (HWRC) - Excess festive waste and recycling can be taken to one of the five Household Waste Recycling Centres located across the city. Winter hours are in operation and residents are advised to check the site opening days before they travel to a site.
HWRC Winter Opening Hours
All five of the Sheffield HWRCs will be closed on Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day and will be open between 9.30am-3pm on Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve.
The HWRCs will be open 9.30am-3.30pm on all other days except for the following:
- Blackstock Road, Gleadless, S14 1FY. Closed: Wednesday 28 December
- Beighton Road, Woodhouse, S13 7PS. Closed: Tuesday 27 December
- Deepcar, Manchester Road, S36 2DT. Closed: Tuesday 27 and Wednesday 28 December
- High Green, Greaves Lane, S35 4GR. Closed: Wednesday 28 and Thursday 29 December
For up-to-date information and service alerts about your recycling and waste collections, you can visit www.sheffield.gov.uk/waste or follow @Recycle4Shef on Twitter.
Other stories you might like
Give us your views on Household Waste Recycling Centres
Sheffield’s five Household Waste Recycling Centres, which have remained open thr ...
Bin collections and recycling centres during lockdown
Bin collections will continue as normal during the six week lockdown period, and our 5 household waste recycling centres will remain open.