Regular video updates on Covid-19 from Director of Public Health Sheffield, Greg Fell.
Help our hardworking waste collection crews
We are proud to be running a full waste and recycling service in Sheffield. However as we stay home and stay safe we are generating more waste than usual.
You can help to make sure that your bins continue to be emptied during this difficult time by making sure that:
- Your bin lids are closed
- Your bins are presented on the pavement by 7am on your collection day
- You don't put extra extra waste next to you black and brown bins - this won't be taken
You may find that you are generating more waste than usual, so saving space in your bins is particularly important at this time.
You can save space by following these simple steps:
- Squash tins and can before putting them in your brown bin
- Squeeze the air out of plastic milk bottles and then put the lid back on
- Flatten cardboard boxes before putting them in your blue bin.
- Get rid of your larger items including furniture and electricals by arranging a collection of bulky waste from your home.
- Discover some great ideas on how to reduce your food waste at www.lovefoodhatewaste.com
Did you know?
You can put extra cardboard out for collection with your blue bin. Our crews will put your extra cardboard inside your bin once it's been emptied and then empty it again. It's therefore really important that your extra cardboard is tied into a neat bundle no bigger than your blue bin
For more information on waste and recycling services in Sheffield, including service updates, please visit www.sheffield.gov.uk/waste
Other stories you might like
Latest update on Covid-19 testing units available to support local response
Testing is a vital part in our fight against Covid-19 and your help is needed to reduce its spread.
If you have any of the following Covid-19 symptoms, however mild, you must self-isolate and get a PCR test as soon as you can. These are a high temperature, a new, continuous cough, loss or change of sense of smell or taste.
If you have tested positive from a lateral flow device (LFD), PCR tests are not needed. Please self-isolate as normal.
Changes to Covid restrictions from 30th November
New Covid restrictions will be introduced from tomorrow in response to the emergence of the Omicron variant.
Statement on our advice and support for safe care homes visits
We’ve written to all care homes to support them in continuing to provide safe visiting opportunities during this third national lockdown.
We know how important visits are for supporting the health and wellbeing of people living in care homes and their relationships with friends and family so we’ve provided them with an overview of how this should work in Sheffield.